domingo, 27 de outubro de 2013

Mental exhaustion level: High school exam

In Sweden, and probably in other countries, admittance to universities can be done on basis of either your grades or your performance on a standardized exam, here we call it "Högskoleprovet", meaning "the high school test".
The design of this is as follows: There are 5 exam sheets, each with 40 quesions. Two of them are verbal (Swedish and English) and two are quantitative(math and numbers), and one is either one or the other, and is just a test that they will use later. For each of these sheets, you get 55 minutes, so during the exam day you write in a total of about 5 hours.

I decided that it was time that I should get into this madness and yesterday was the big day. I can't say I was very well prepared, since I mostly participated due to curiosity and to gain some experience.

This was possibly the most exhausting experience of my life so far, but it was also an intensely satisfying one. During those infinitesimally short 55 minutes of pure concentration some sort of adrenaline was surging through my body and the world around me seized to exist. These were possibly also from time to time the most frustrating moments as far as exams are concerned. Especially in the math test, since you aren't actually asked to perform any calculations, but merely to assess the example and choose one out of 4-5 given answers. The lack of possibility to perform calculations is very frustrating for me, probably because I study the kind of fields were you always want the exact answers, often down to the last decimal.
Actually, although almost all of the subjects I study are based in numbers, my numerical perception is quite low. Ask me to divide two numbers with over 3 digits and unfailingly you will loose me, at least if you ask me to do it in under a minute...
Let's state it like this. When we had written 4 parts, I was mentally off on the level where I was close to writing to a foreign friend in Swedish and almost failed to even unlock my phone, and I was then presented the last part of the exam, which was the quantitative, I came very close upon committing a mental suicide. I've never felt blacked out on that level. And you could tell by the results.

I did quite bad. I never do bad on tests.
...But apparently I do. I'm not very pleased with it, of course not, but it is quite a good experience to have undergone such pressure, and hopefully I'll to better on the next one. And if not, I have my grades. And a work at a call center. And even some friends. Life is still awesome.

Take care, And don't forget to smile :)

Um comentário:

  1. Muito bom! Já vivi uma experiência bem próxima a isso. Mas de tudo se tira algo de bom. Felizmente.

    ResponderExcluir